Thursday, March 28, 2013

The "Mommy Bible"

All through my growing up years, and for the majority of my single life, I was notorious for being late and forgetting to do things. My mother's answer every time I was late, or forgot something was "why don't you start making lists and writing things down?". "Make a list!" "Make a list!". It was a broken record mantra! I LOATHED 'The List' with a passion!! I swore to myself that I would never be a list/note maker. 

Ever heard the saying,"never say never"?

When I got married and became pregnant, my ever faithful list-making mother went to the store and bought a mommy planner for me as a gift. :)
 "I know you probably wont ever use it, but I thought it might help." was what she told me as she handed it over.  
"eh, we"ll see. Since you bought it, I'll give it a shot."
and I did.

It was surprising how quickly I became attached to it! I mean, this thing could do ANYTHING! From weekly to-do lists, and grocery lists- to  activities, menu planning and even a note making section. Not to mention the one week a page calender system! 
Without even realizing it, I stepped into the world of family management, which included LIST making and PLANNING! Although, I didn't really see it like that at the time. :p

I carried that planner with me everywhere! I even took it with me to the store because I would attach coupons I had clipped to the shopping list. I was constantly referring to it. It was, and is, my 'Mommy Bible'.

"Oh, my gosh! she's making lists and is actually on time!" was the common response I got from friends and family. 

My mom's response was first one of shock because I was actually using it. Followed by an 'I told you so' comment. Which was something like, "See! Making lists and notes isn't that bad! What have I always told you? Make a list! It helps to write things down!"

Since becoming attached to my paper planner, I thought I'd give the planner apps a go. But in the end, there's just something about writing  it down that does the trick for me! I'm kicking it old school, much to my mother's amazement. 

I have been bitten by the planning ahead, menu making, to-do list writing, bug! And I love it!!

As I said, "never say never!"

Did I mention my planner has stickers!? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment