Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Anything Fried Rice

Anything Fried Rice

(A.K.A. Special Ham Fried Rice)

 I LOVE this recipe!!  Like most people, I'm sure, I am always finding my refrigerator full of random leftovers that I wind up throwing away at the end of the week. Mentally calculating the amount of money I just dumped into the trash always makes me frustrated. I find myself wishing I was brave enough and creative enough to make a recipe utilizing all these leftovers. 

Well, I found a recipe that does just that! It's called the "Special Ham Fried Rice Recipe" and I found it in Company's Coming: 3-1 Cookbook Collection- Meals in No Time.  I renamed it Anything Fried Rice because I have deviated from this recipe by adding, substituting, and even leaving out ingredients. It's quick, easy and very cheap! Plus, it uses items that pretty much everyone has in there freezer, fridge, and pantry! 

I hope you enjoy! 

Cooking oil  1tbs.
Chopped onion (I have used frozen onion too) 2/3 Cup
Chopped celery 2/3 cup
Cooking oil 1tbs.
2 Large eggs
Pepper 1/8tsp.
Cold Leftover rice 3 cups
    (about 1 cup uncooked)
Chopped leftover cooked ham
     ( I have also used chicken or turkey)
Soy Sauce 2 tbs.
Leftover cooked (or frozen, thawed) peas 1/2 cup
     ( I have also used 1/2 bag of frozen mixed veggies, thawed)
2 Green onions, sliced 

* Carrots also make a good addition!

Heat wok or large frying pan on medium-high until hot. Add first amount of cooking oil. Add first amount of onion and celery. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes until onion starts to brown. Transfer to small bowl.
Add second amount of cooking oil to wok. Add eggs and pepper. Break yolks but do not scramble. Cook, without stirring, for  1 minute. Flip. Immediately start chopping egg with edge of pancake lifter until egg is in small pieces and starting to brown. 
Add rice, ham and soy sauce. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes, breaking up rice, until dry and starting to brown. 
Add onion mixture, peas and green onion. Stir-fry for about 1 minute until heated through. Makes 5 Cups. Serves 4.

As a new mom, I want to make sure I'm serving up nutritious and delicious meals to my family. I've found this recipe to be both! I like serving it with a portion of the meat that I mixed into the rice, along with another serving of veggies.  Although, I will admit that it's perfectly good all on it's own!!
 Bonn A petite!

No comments:

Post a Comment